Since I just got the NHL Network added to my cable package this month, I may be a bit behind on my "classic" series watching. I just finished watching 3 classic playoff series re-runs (Avs/Wings '99, Avs/Wings '00, Avs/Devils '01)
I enjoyed the Avs/Wings ones particularly...not just because they won both series, but the way they won. Just some quick observations
1) These two series reminded me just how GODLY Patrick Roy was between the pipes. A gaffe or two withstanding, he is just an amazing goalie. It makes me appreciate what the Avs had in goal...and just shows me how awful the tenders have been since.
2) Chris Drury. I am not really as sentimental as everyone else about the Drury trade, and his production under albatross contracts is making me more so. But what a monster (thanks Pierre) this guy was, on both ends of the ice
3) Peter Forsberg. My lord, this guy in his prime...Alex Ovechkin reminds me alot the Forsberg "no hold barred" style of play. I think the one thing Forsberg has on Ovie is his playmaking ability. But both guys are just incredible, and I see a lot of Forsberg's play in Ovechkin now.
4) Adam Foote was a beast under the old rules. The man just killed whoever came near the front of the net.
5) Sandis Ozolinsh. I don't know if he was a big time predecessor to today's "puck moving defensemen" but the guy shot from everywhere, no hesitation.
6) Darren McCarty is such a cheap shot piece of...well you know what word I was going to use. Every hit they showed in these two series, by McCarty, was from behind, after the whistle, or after a play while someone wasn't looking. What an ass clown.
OK, just random thoughts. Now back to reality, and probably last place...