I was looking for some activity during the Sweden Germany game, but y'all are pretty quiet this evening.
Some thoughts on Foppa:
- The hockey IQ is still there. He really knows where he needs to be on the ice at all times. He's never out of position.
- His strength on the puck is still there.
- The vision is still with him. He sees the ice like no one else.
- His anticipation is excellent.
- He is seriously slow. It's a good thing he plays the game better than everyone else because he's not getting to the puck based exclusively on speed. The puck still finds him, fortunately..
Maybe he'll get stronger as the tournament progresses. I hope so. I'd like to see some of that old magic.
For those who want to see Forsberg back in the Burgundy and Blue, I understand the nostalgia, but he's only an average NHL player now at best, and a fragile one at that. I would love to see him sign a one day contract near the end of this season, step onto the ice and wave to the crowd, take a shift or two, and then retire as one of the greatest of all time. I know it's impossible given the transfer situation with the Swedish Elite League. Maybe next year.