Check out the Hockey News Future Watch 2010. They ranked the Avs #1 at the draft table. I've summarized the article below as it relates to the Avalanche. However, to get more information, you may want to pick up a copy.
The chart below represents how teams have been performing at the draft table for the past four seasons. The plus-minus figure is the amount above or below the norm for that particular team in comparison to it's NHL peers.
1. Colorado - ADR: 18 - Rnk: 3 (+15)
2. Atlanta - ADR: 19 - Rnk: 9 (+10)
3. NY Rangers - ADR: 13 - Rnk: 5 (+8)
4. Montreal - ADR: 23 - Rnk: 16 (+7)
5. Nashville - ADR: 20 Rnk: 14 (+6)
6. NY Islanders - ADR: 14 - Rnk 8 (+6)
Colorado has gone to the draft table 18th overall,on average, the past four seasons. Yet it's report card grade is third overall (below) for a difference of plus-15. That's a credit to the scouting department that has unearthed some pretty good selections (Duchene, O'Reilly, Galiardi, Shattenkirk, Stoa, Cohen, Elliot, Barrie and Gaunce).
Report card grade:
1. L.A. - grade '09: A - grade '10: A
2. St. Louis - grade '09: A- - grade: '10: A
3. Colorado - grade '09: C - grade: '10: A-
The report card grade shows the strength of each team's list of top 10 propects and 21-and-under NHLers, the missions statement behind Future Watch. A panel of 23 scouts - one scout from each team was invited to participate - did the grading.