Yes kids, it sucks to be an Avs fan these days. I almost want to tattoo on a tear drop on my cheek and curl up in my basement with my old Stanley Cup VHS tapes.
- No major free agent signings, almost no minor free agent signings
- Crappy stolen slogan (It’s all about the "A"). Not sure whether they stole it from Lappy’s foundation or from Overstock.com, but in any case, it wasn’t worth stealing
- Really weak season ticket promotion that keeps seat prices just slightly less than the Gross National Product of Paraguay.
- Spending to the salary floor, and struggling to get there
- Ownership who is more interested in the NFL and EPL, and may have to sell the Avs to stay on the right side of NFL ownership rules.
You really have only to look around our own division to see that maybe we don’t have it so bad.
It could be worse. You could live and die by the Calgary Flames.
- You are struggling to stay under the salary cap after a 3rd place finish in the NW division, out of the playoffs.
- You still have no center for Jarome Iginla
- You won many games by Corsi, but had issues with the scoreboard
- Your big free agent signings are a guy you had two years ago (Alex Tanguay), whose game has declined every year since he left, and is on this third team in as many years. The other is a guy you traded away 5 months ago (Olli Jokinen).
It could be worse. You could live and die by the Edmonton Oilers.
- Dead last in the NHL last year
- The savior of your franchise, Taylor Hall, is an athletic scoring rookie left winger, but you don’t have a first line center to get him the puck (see Calgary, above)
- The Hockey News picks you to be dead last in the West again this year and contending for last overall.
- You are already counting the days until the 2011 draft. You have your prospects ranked
It could be worse. You could live and die by the Minnesota Wild.
- You have the most ridiculous team name in major league sports (although Atlanta comes close)
- You’ve experienced historically dull hockey since the team’s inception
- Your big free agent signing is an old fat ex-football coach, no wait, he's a defensive center (John Madden)
- You failed to be last in the Northwest Division only because Edmonton was even more inept.
No, you are a fan of the Avalanche.
- You have an up and coming young hockey team, now with playoff experience!
- You have a stud goalie
- You have significant prospects in Junior and the AHL
- Your coach seems to have a good rapport with his team, but is firmly in control
- You have 2 first line centers and a strong second liner
- You have a monster right winger and loads of team speed
- You have tons of cap space that will allow you to keep the core together and add talent on the free agent market
- You probably live in Colorado (this cannot be understated)
Enough with the griping already. Can we get this season started?