The Colorado Avalanche: News from around the NHL - April 14th, 2014

Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

The latest article featuring the Avs.

Patrick Roy’s incredible resume as a Hall of Fame hockey player includes twice leading an NHL team on an unexpected run to capture the Stanley Cup and twice helping the Colorado Avalanche to win the NHL's coveted championship trophy.

Roy is in his first season as a coach at the NHL level, but he's accumulated lots of playoff experience in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. With the help of a talented collection of forwards and one of the best young goaltenders in the League, Roy is in position to lead the Avalanche to a third Cup victory in franchise history.

The moment of class in the NHL occurred last night after the game between the Avs and the Ducks, Giguere and Selanne took a victory lap together.

It was an emotional night in Anaheim, where Teemu Selanne played his final regular-season game as a member of the Anaheim Ducks in a 3-2 overtime victory over the Colorado Avalanche. Though Nick Bonino scored the winner, Selanne was named all three stars in the victory, which is garbage, in my opinion. They should have made an allowance to name him even more stars.

(I kid. Selanne got the tribute he deserved in front of the Anaheim fans.)

But he wasn't the only one likely playing in his final regular-season game. So too was Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who backstopped the Anaheim Ducks to the Stanley Cup in 2006-07. In an incredible, moving moment, Selanne opted to share the stage with his former teammate, now the Avalanche backup, and the two skated a victory lap together in front of the Honda Center faithful.

As Giguere was taking his victory lap with Selanne after the game on Sunday, Daniel Sedin was being carted off via a stretcher after being hit from behind.

It sucked all the air out of the arena: the sight of Daniel Sedin, the star Vancouver Canuck, prone on the ice on his back after being pushed into the boards by Paul Byron.

“He’s okay,” said John Tortorella at about 9:15 p.m., about 1 ½ hours after the hit.

Sedin was later released from hospital.

At 8:27 p.m., an half hour after Sedin left Rogers Arena in an ambulance, strapped to a stretcher, his head and chin secured, the Canucks said he had “exhibited signs of movement to his extremities.” He showed improvement from the initial hit and was described in stable condition. He was heading to nearby Vancouver General Hospital, where there would be evaluation and imaging. "No assessment will be made until completion of this evaluation," said the Canucks.

Log In Sign Up

Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join Mile High Hockey

You must be a member of Mile High Hockey to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Mile High Hockey. You should read them.

Join Mile High Hockey

You must be a member of Mile High Hockey to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at Mile High Hockey. You should read them.




Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.