I have been lurking on these boards for a while now and really enjoy the fan discussions of the Avs, so I thought it was time to finally make a contribution. I have not seen a thread dedicated to the development of a new uniform for the Avs in a while, and since the club has finally turned things around on the ice performance, it makes sense that they should improve their uniforms to match. Since I was a bit bored, I decided to put together this offering:
via i87.photobucket.com (Edge template by S2dio found on hockeyjerseyconcepts)
As you can see, the design is pretty faithful to the original "rocky mountain" jerseys that the team sported before Reebok's Edge template was adopted. I miss how unique those uniforms were and how they incorporated some really neat themes. Rather than just adopt them wholesale, though, I wanted to try my hand at updating it a bit as well. Some of my thoughts on the more notable changes from the current uniforms:
- Apron strings removed. No more diagonal line through the captain's "C" or alternate "A's." That's probably my biggest problem with the current design and it boggles my mind that they haven't addressed this already.
- The shoulder yoke stops in points before the collar and at the elbow. The thought was that the color change would essentially "cap" each shoulder like snow on a mountaintop while also creating an "A"/mountain shape in the main portion of the sweater.
- The points at the elbows, corners, waist and collar are callbacks to the original rocky mountain waves in the team's old sweaters. They're also intended to accentuate the "A"/mountain shape in the uniform.
- Reintroduced the mountain pattern to the hem of the uniform and added a matching hem on the sleeve. The sleeve was added for consistency with the hemline of the body and to break up the color along the bottom of the sleeve. I think I may like it better if the hemline along the back went back up to form another peak, but haven't made that change just yet.
- Piping similar to the sweater was added to the socks for uniformity with the rest of the jersey.
In any case, I certainly don't mean to imply that the design above is the greatest thing in the world, but I think the team deserves a better sweater than the sweaters they're currently sporting (though, I must admit, I do love the third blueberry jerseys). If anyone has any thoughts or comments, or offerings of their own, it would be fun to see/hear them!