We're going to step a tad outside the box for a Friday and talk about something serious and not just tangentially related to the Colorado Avalanche. That subject? Moving Scott Hannan this offseason. And where would you move said Hannan too? The Sharks. Hear me out (bullet-point style):
- Rob Blake is retiring, so there is a likelihood that San Jose will be one of the active shoppers for a veteran defenseman this offseason.
- Assuming that Sharks GM Doug Wilson plays hardball with UFA goaltender Evgeni Nabokov (per this great post from Mike Chen over at FTR) he may have $4-5 million to fill the defensive need.
- The Avalanche are in rebuilding mode and have a logjam of blueliners under contract for the upcoming season.
- Scott Hannan's contract is currently worth a cap hit of $4.5 million. It comes off the books after the 2010-2011 season.
- The Sharks draft 28th this season.
If I was the Shermanator, I'd call up Wilson and see if he was interested in bringing the Hobbit back to the Left Coast for a younger, non-defenseman NHL player (Jamie McGinn is due a raise after the 2010-2011 season) and a pick or maybe just picks & prospects (possibly their 2010 1st-rounder). I think this is a good deal for Sharks as it fills a need with a familiar player and it isn't a long-term commitment. They'd have another Cup competitive team with Hannan, and still have the cap room they would have had without him at the end of the 2010-2011 season.
This is a good deal for Colorado in that it frees up a spot for a Shattenkirk or Cohen while giving the Avs two first-round picks this season or continues the youth movement if they get a McGinn or prospect. Or if we have to take on some money from the Sharks, we take back a short term hit which would likely be somebody in the Sharks' system as they're pretty set with most of their guys through next season. It would likely free up some cash for some FA shopping of our own this offseason or clear some room for a mid-level trade (Patrick Sharp, Nathan Horton, Stephen Weiss) with clubs that are looking to dump salary.
What do the MHH faithful think? Bad idea? Worth fleshing out a little more? Open talks with Fear the Fin?