Awwwwwwwwww yeah! We're back and rollin. I actually had written the majority of last week's Northwest Check but a surprising amount of work and an intrusion of cute chicks kept me from pumping out the column fully. I was pretty worried all of my awesome "We're tied with Detroit but because they can suck it we're actually first!" jokes would become irrelevant but instead we straight passed them in the standings so...suck it, Detroit.
Dreams do come true!
In case you've been too caught up in the frenzy that is a 6-0-0 road record for the Avs, they're already putting some distance between themselves and the basement they came perilously close to occupying last season. With the team finally getting into divisional battles (half of our games against Calgary this season occur over the course of the next 3 weeks, I believe) they can start doing some head-to-head damage to their most important competition or allow those lagging behind to claw back into the picture. An early deficit can be hard to overcome, especially if you're probably going to be bad like Minnesota/Edmonton or just super bleh like Calgary. At least they'll always have math!
Speaking of math, looking at the standings right now I'd say those numbers add up to us being number one. I don't care how early it is. None of the other four teams are in first. You know why?
Because Colorado is.
Team capsules after the jump.
All standings related info taken from NHL.com...
Calgary Flames (7 GP 2-4-1 5 Pts)
- Mikael Backlund is on IR and is out for up to 6 weeks with a finger injury.
Edmonton Oilers (7 GP 3-2-2 8 Pts)
Last Week: 2-1-1 3-1 W vs. NSH, 1-2 L @ CGY, 1-2 OTL vs. MIN, 2-0 W vs. NYR
- Ales Hemsky is out 10-14 days with a shoulder injury.
- Sam Gagner is day-to-day with an ankle injury.
- Darcy Hordichuk is week-to-week with a knee injury.
Minnesota Wild (8 GP 3-2-3 9 Pts)
- Cody Almond was placed on injured reserve following the preseason finale. He is not currently with the team.
- Mike Lundin remains on injured reserve and did not accompany the team on its trip to Edmonton and Vancouver.
- Greg Zanon missed Friday's practice due to a groin injury, and will rest Saturday at Vancouver.
- Mikko Koivu missed Friday's practice due to a cut to the chin, but likely to play Saturday at Vancouver.
Guillaume Latendresse missed Friday's practice due to a lower body injury, and will rest Saturday at Vancouver.
Vancouver Canucks (8 GP 4-3-1 9 Pts)
- Mason Raymond is out indefinitely with a back injury
- Aaron Rome is out indefinitely with a finger injury
- Steve Pinizotto is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury