Reality can kind of suck sometimes.
Luckily, we're only about 12% of the way through the regular season so reality is still kind of an unknown at this point. Is Edmonton really THIS good? I know I was the crazy yokel who picked Minnesota to finish below them in the standings but this is getting out of hand, no?
Elsewhere in the division the Flames took the necessary steps to avoid falling in a significant early season hole by taking care of their business. Feel free to stop doing that, Calgary. It's more fun when you're at the bottom and I can mindlessly pound on my calculator like it means something and mock you endlessly. JUST STOP BEATING US, OKAY?
Minnesota and Vancouver...meh? I don't really know what either team is up to yet because now that we're not in first place I'm back to only looking at the teams in front of us.
You know, since watching the standings in October is always a worthwhile experience.
Team capsules after the jump.
All standings related info taken from NHL.com...
Calgary Flames (9 GP 4-4-1 9 Pts)
Mikael Backlund is on IR and is out for up to 6 weeks with a finger injury.
Colorado Avalanche (11 GP 7-4-0 14 Pts)
Edmonton Oilers (11 GP 7-2-2 16 Pts)
Last Week: 4-0-0 3-2 W vs VAN, 2-1 W vs. WSH, 3-1 W @ COL, 4-2 W vs. STL
- Ales Hemsky is out 10-14 days with a shoulder injury.
- Ryan Whitney is out 3-4 weeks with a knee injury.
- Darcy Hordichuk is week-to-week with a knee injury.
Minnesota Wild (10 GP 4-3-3 11 Pts)
- Cody Almond was placed on injured reserve following the preseason finale. He is not currently with the team.
- Mike Lundin remains on injured reserve and has not skated with the team. He has been shooting pucks.
- Greg Zanon was placed on injured reserve on Friday and will not be available on Saturday against Detroit.
- Guillaume Latendresse missed one game with a groin injury but returned to the lineup on Thursday and will play again on Saturday.
- Clayton Stoner was hit in the hand with a shot on Thursday and left the game in the second period. He is out for Saturday's game against Detroit.
Vancouver Canucks (11 GP 5-5-1 11 Pts)
- Mason Raymond is out indefinitely with a back injury
- Aaron Rome is out indefinitely with a finger injury
- Steve Pinizotto is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury