Winning is kind of cool.
Sadly, due to the curse of this column (uhh..don't go look that up) and the upcoming matchup against the impossible-to-beat Minnesota Wild, I sure hope Avs fans everywhere really enjoyed these last couple of wins and look forward to our 2 minute (max) blip on 24/7 next week. I know I had plenty of (mostly drunken) fun. Moving away from the team we all know about, the division had a pretty interesting week (I honestly could say this every week).
Calgary played pretty well and ended up picking up 5 of a possible 8 points this week, ultimately gaining ground on Minnesota and surpassing struggling Edmonton. I still can't quite figure out this Flames team. They have an interesting mix of good and bleh talent but really need their stars to produce in order to stay successful (cough). Last week, they produced, results followed. Math is ez.
Edmonton is experiencing the kinds of growing pains that come with being a very young hockey team (COUGH). Stretches of hot goaltending overshadowing shaky offense and then white-hot offense making up for porous defense/goaltending and then everything falling apart together. These things happen. Still far too much talent to expect this two week trend to continue.
Minnesota is unbeatable and I refuse to accept their last two weeks as a regression to any sort of stupid mean, you hear me Jibbles? THEIR TRUE IDENTITY IS UNBEATABLE. They have the power to be the sort of heroic team the NHL needs. The other teams just need to stop getting in the way of true justice.
Vancouver...screw you. I hope Lapierre breaks both legs getting off the airplane. (They've been crazy hot for a month and are back to their division-trampling form)
Team capsules after the jump.
All standings related info taken from NHL.com...
Calgary Flames (35 GP 16-15-4 36 Pts)
- Anton Babchuk is on IR with a hand injury.
- David Moss is on IR with a foot injury.
- Mark Giordano is on IR with a hamstring injury.
- Henrik Karlsson is on IR with an MCL injury.
- Brett Carson is on IR with an "upper body" injury.
- Matt Stajan is on IR with an ankle sprain.
Colorado Avalanche (35 GP 17-17-1 35 Pts)
Edmonton Oilers (34 GP 15-16-3 33 Pts)
Last Week: 1-2-0
- Cam Barker is out 3 months with an ankle injury.
- Ales Hemsky is day-to-day with the flu.
Minnesota Wild (36 GP 20-11-5 45 Pts)
- Devin Setoguchi suffered a lower body injury last Tuesday. He has been placed on the IR on December 18.
- Casey Wellman suffered a wrist injury and was placed on the IR December 18.
- Mikko Koivu suffered a lower body injury on December 14 and was placed retroactive on the IR December 22.
Vancouver Canucks (34 GP 21-11-2 44 Pts)