Holy balls what a week in the NHL. Lots of movement in the standings on a daily basis and the regression bug continued to nestle happily in Minnesota, infuriating their fan base and delighting everyone else because Wild fans make themselves absurdly easy to hate. It's not me, it's you. I promise.
Outside of the Weeping Willows in the Kind of North (get it? They look like Christmas trees and are constantly crying!), the rest of the division remained productive and helped themselves in the ways they needed to. Calgary continued their push for another 9th place finish as they've dug themselves out of the early season hole and straight into contention for being eliminated on the second-to-last day of the season. Have to admire the consistency, at least.
Edmonton continued to sink back down to expectations, bringing into question the validity of the great off-season debate: DOES ANYONE HAVE A DEFENSE WORSE THAN COLORADO? The answer is, of course, yes. Edmonton does. It's starting to show through because they suck and are losing a lot (quality sentence, AJ). I absolutely love their online communities, though. High quality chaps, they are.
Vancouver won't stop winning. PLEASE STOP WINNING.
See you next year <3
Team capsules after the jump.
All standings related info taken from NHL.com...
Calgary Flames (38 GP 18-16-4 40 Pts)
- Anton Babchuk is on IR with a hand injury.
- David Moss is on IR with a foot injury.
- Mark Giordano is on IR with a hamstring injury.
- Henrik Karlsson is on IR with an MCL injury.
- Brett Carson is on IR with an "upper body" injury.
- Matt Stajan is on IR with an ankle sprain.
Colorado Avalanche (39 GP 20-18-1 41 Pts)
Edmonton Oilers (36 GP 15-18-3 33 Pts)
Last Week: 0-2-0
- Cam Barker is out 3 months with an ankle injury.
- Ales Hemsky is day-to-day with the flu.
- Ryan Whitney is day-to-day with an ankle injury.
- Alex Plante is out indefinitely with a concussion.
Minnesota Wild (39 GP 21-12-6 48 Pts)
- Guillaume Latendresse is out indefinitely after experiencing concussion symptoms.
- Devin Setoguchi suffered a lower body injury on December 6 and was placed on injured reserve two days later. He has resumed skating on his own.
- Casey Wellman suffered a wrist injury and was placed on the IR December 18. He has been skating.
- Clayton Stoner suffered a lower body injury on December 22 and placed on the IR December 27.
- Jared Spurgeon suffered a lower body injury Monday against Colorado. He missed his first game of the season on Wednesday night.
Vancouver Canucks (38 GP 24-12-2 50 Pts)