Apologies in advance for the much, much shorter NWC this week but I've been battling Pyelonephritis all week and haven't been able to watch any hockey.
Calgary continues to be just good enough to hang around in the playoff picture but not quite good enough to overtake any of the teams in front of them.
Edmonton's paper tiger defense has been unable to stop the losing as the Oilers' season has been completely derailed thanks to an outrageous amount of injuries to key players and, you know, not being very good.
Minnesota continues to teach their fan base harsh lessons about things like "regression" actually, you know, existing. I know it's a cruel world, Wild fans, but keep on keepin on because the rest of us are enjoying your plight quite a bit.
Vancouver should have run away with this division already but they don't seem to have found that extra gear quite yet and while 8 points is a pretty significant lead, it really should be more. With the Avs suddenly in second place, the more the Canucks dillydally around, the more exciting the second half of this season is likely to get.
Team capsules after the jump.
All standings related info taken from NHL.com...
Calgary Flames (48 GP 22-20-6 50 Pts)
- David Moss is on IR with a foot injury.
- Henrik Karlsson is on IR with an MCL injury.
- Alex Tanguay is on IR with an upper body injury.
- Derek Smith has a high ankle sprain.
- Curtis Glencross is currently sidelined with a "lower body" injury.
Colorado Avalanche (48 GP 25-21-2 52 Pts)
Edmonton Oilers (46 GP 17-25-4 38 Pts)
Last Week: 1-3-0
- Cam Barker is out 2 months with an ankle injury.
- Ryan Whitney is week-to-week with an ankle injury.
- Tom Gilbert is out 2-3 weeks with a knee injury.
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is out 2-3 weeks with a shoulder injury.
- Jordan Eberle is day-to-day with a knee injury.
- Taylor Hall is out indefinitely with a laceration.
- Eric Belanger is day-to-day with a leg injury.
- Ryan O`Marra is day-to-day with an illness.
Minnesota Wild (47 GP 22-18-7 51 Pts)
- Guillaume Latendresse is out indefinitely after experiencing concussion symptoms.
- Jarod Palmer has been diagnosed with concussion symptoms and is on Injured Reserve.
- Pierre-Marc Bouchard has concussion symptoms and is on Injured Reserve.
- Mikko Koivu suffered an upper body injury on Jan. 14 and placed on IR on Jan. 16. He is listed as week-to-week and will be evaluated again on January 23.
Vancouver Canucks (47 GP 28-15-4 60 Pts)