Gonna make this relatively short because my new job has me dead tired and badly need to relax and dip my feet into a vat of ice. Calgary is living up to its name and has absolutely caught fire. Cool story for them as they're still behind Colorado. Games in hand be damned, the Flames have won a bunch of games in a row and still haven't caught the Avs. Nooch.
Edmonton never amounted to the spoiler role I thought they would play perfectly. They did manage to beat Columbus, however, which is extremely important because it likely brought to an end any hopes the Blue Jackets had of catching and surpassing Edmonton for most ping pong balls in the NHL Draft Lottery. Had the Oilers gotten first overall pick, GM Extraordinaire might have deemed it necessary to draft Nail Yakupov, best known for BEING A WINGER. The Oilers might have just saved themselves from the incompetency of their GM. Bright days in Oil Country, amirite?
Vancouver is absolutely worthless. They're Eastern Conference level of useless. Beating the occasional bad team but losing to the teams that would help Colorado, the Canucks sputtering offense and leaky Luongo has fans jumping aboard the "if they don't care, I don't care, bring on the playoffs" mentality. I hope they get swept in the first round.
All standings related info taken from NHL.com...
- Lee Stempniak is out with a high ankle sprain.
- Blair Jones is on IR with a fractured ankle.
- Mikael Backlund is on IR with an upper body injury.
- Chris Butler is on IR with a leg injury.
- T.J. Brodie is day-to-day with an upper body injury.
- Michael Cammalleri is day-to-day with an upper body injury.
- Tim Jackman is day-to-day with an upper body injury.
Last Week: 1-1-1
News: I guess the season is considered lost by EVERYONE because all anybody wants to talk about is Zach Parise.
....and then there's this, one of the funniest things I've seen all season. State of Hockey GET.
- Guillaume Latendresse has been diagnosed with concussion symptoms and is on Injured Reserve.
- Pierre-Marc Bouchard has concussion symptoms and is on Injured Reserve.
- Mikko Koivu is currently out with an upper body injury. He has been shut down until March 13, when he will be reevalutated. He did skate with the team on Tuesday morning but did not take contact.
- Mike Lundin suffered a lower body injury and was placed on injured reserve on February 19.
- Niklas Backstrom suffered a lower body against Montreal on March 1 and is out of the lineup.