clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Stars at Avalanche: Healthier Avs look to gain consistency

New, comments

Colorado takes on Dallas in their first game since Thanksgiving.

Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports

Thanksgiving is over and the Avs face off against the Stars for the first time this season. This week, Colorado experienced the downside to a back-to-back when they traveled from Arizona on Tuesday to play a fresh Chicago team on Wednesday. Chicago had the previous day off and was already in Denver on Tuesday while the Avs faced the Coyotes. Well, the Avalanche now benefit from the back-to-back as the Stars took on Minnesota last night falling 5-4 in overtime and now travel from Dallas to Colorado to play the Avs. The Avalanche hope that a win against Dallas on Saturday can help pack some wins together and gain some consistency as they still sit in last place in the Central Division.

Dallas Spotlight: Tyler Seguin

Dallas has not gotten off to the start that they would have liked this season currently sitting in sixth place in the Central Division, only ahead of the Avalanche. The stand out for the Stars this season is Tyler Seguin who leads the league with 18 goals on the year. Seguin along with his line mate Jamie Benn have been a strong fit this season combining for 52 points so far. Although their offense is strong, the issue for Dallas this season is defense as they rank 29th in the league in goals against per game with 3.39. The Avs aren't much better as they sit in 26th in this category allowing 3.09 goals per game.

Colorado Spotlight: Getting healthy

The Avs received plenty of good news on Friday about their laundry list of injured players. It looks like Erik Johnson and John Mitchell will return to the Avalanche line up against Dallas. Also, if all goes well, Varly will be back in net on Monday against Montreal. Maybe the most important note of Friday was that Roy is sticking with Calvin Pickard not only on Friday against the Stars but for even longer. He said that right now he wants Pickard on the NHL roster and doesn't plan to carry three goalies. That means that Berra could be the odd man out so he will either go through waivers or be traded. My prediction is he clears waivers and could be in Lake Erie.

Other Notes

  • The Avalanche have won four out of their last six games making them 8-10-5 on the year with 21 points.
  • It looks like the Avs might have a tough time make the playoffs based on the fact that since the 2005-2006 season, 77.3 percent of teams that are in playoff position on Thanksgiving have made the playoffs. Still leaves a 22.7 percent chance though, so not all is lost, right?
  • Tyson Barrie is second on the team in points with 15 and also leads the team in assists with 12. Who would have thought that 23 games into the season, he has more points than Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly and Iginla?

Avalanche Lines

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Iginla

Tanguay-Duchene-O'Reilly

Talbot-Mitchell-Briere

McLeod-Cliche-Vincour

Hejda-Johnson

Guenin-Barrie

Holden-Redmond

Pickard

Berra

Game Information

9 p.m. ET on Altitude