Hello boys n' girls! Just a week and a day left in the pit of hockey fans' fears, the dread month of August. We're almost home. Topics on the mind of our wonderful posters this week include:
- As of press time, Tyson Barrie is still not under contract although quoteless Joe was quoted as saying something like there's about 28 rounds of golf to go before any real concern is felt. Barrie's agent seems to be in no great hurry either. I'm predicting he won't sign this week.
- Our beloved backup netminder for the last 3 years, J.S. Giguere officially retired this week. A veteran of the Halifax Mooseheads, Hartford Whalers (!) and a host of other teams (sweet jesus, did you know he played for the Flames!?!), Jiggy has a cup ring and a Conn Smythe to grace his mantle going forward, along with the respect of fans all over the league outside of Toronto. Best wishes, JS!
- Avalanche CHL affiliate, the Denver Cutthroats, decided to sit this season out, leaving the Avs development system in a bit of a bind. Things aren't looking so hot for the CHL in general and a rumored merger with the ECHL becomes unlikely with the resurrection of a lawsuit between the two leagues this week.
- Kevin Hayes didn't sign with the Avs. Jury's still out whether this is good or bad.
- Anyone in the Denver area, head on over to the Pepsi Center today and unload all that unused sports equipment clogging the back of the garage for a good cause. The Jessica Ghawi giveSports equipment drive will be on site from 7am 'til noon. You might even get to meet a hockey player (or announcer!)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Come see the legendary legend Peter McNab! Bring that new and gently used sports equip down to Pepsi Center! <a href="http://t.co/kmipQkAORl">pic.twitter.com/kmipQkAORl</a></p>— Marc Moser (@RadioMoser) <a href="https://twitter.com/RadioMoser/statuses/503169487139790848">August 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>