The beloved Rampage meet the Tucson Roadrunners for the first time ever in a 2 game set this weekend. Good news from the injury front, we might see a badly needed infusion of talent too.
- Spencer Martin was called up to the Avs on Tuesday which probably explains the odd goalie usage over the weekend. Varly skated a bit today but isn’t ready so Marty’s gone for at least Friday and probably the weekend. Due to Christmas break, next week’s “weekend” is Wednesday/Thursday so let’s hope he can get back by then.
- Justin Agosta was signed to a PTO for the Milwaukee game, didn’t play all that much and was sent back to Manchester following the game.
- Thomas Frazee was also released from his PTO on Tuesday
- Nathan Lieuwen was called up for a couple practices this week but is now back with the Eagles.
- Reid Petryk was activated on Thursday after breaking his foot in Avs Camp.
- Cole Sanford is officially headed to the University of Alberta. Good luck and sorry we didn’t get to see him in San Antonio. Jackson Houck is rumored to be headed to college as well but as of this week he was still with the Eagles and scoring goals.
- Mat Clark, who mysteriously disappeared from Avs training camp, was spotted skating in San Antonio this week. Word on the street is that he’s been recovering from a concussion. No official word from the team on when he might be activated.
- All this leads up to a series of tweets from Dan Weiss yesterday afternoon that brought joy to the hearts of both Avs and Rampage fans. First of all, JT Compher, Jim O’Brien, Reid Petryk, Alex Ranger and Jeremy Smith were all practicing full-contact. Chris Bigras and Trent Vogelhuber were in NC Jerseys. Turner Elson and Gabe Bourque were not on the ice along with Shawn St Amant, who might be headed back to the Eagles. Dan went on to say that barring disaster, Compher, OB, Pete and Smitty should all play this weekend. That’s awesome!
- Injured list is down to Bigras (?BI), Vogie (LBI), Elson (LBI), Bourque (?BI) and maybe Matt Lashoff (?BI). Throw Mat Clark (concussion) in there if you like.
Fast Facts: Milwaukee
MKE 5 - SAR 4
Shots: 25-30 (45%) Belz led with 5, Rocco had 4
Special Teams: PP 2/8, PK 2/3
Kent Simpson saved 25/30 (.833)
Goals: Corbett as a forward (1), Whitney (6), St Amant (1), Grimaldi (8)
This game was a real roller-coaster. I laughed, I cried. After one of the more despicable 2nd periods of the season left the good guys in a 3-1 hole, they let the Admirals score again early in the 3rd. Then the unimaginable happened, they scored 3 straight goals, including 2 on the power play, and tied the game up. There was joy! Alas, just a minute later Kent SImpson let in a pillow soft yakker that turned out to be the game-winner. Yes, there were score effects and asinine penalties by MKE that made the comeback happen but regardless it showed that they could get it done if need be.
Team Leaders and Stats
Record: 11-13-1, 8th in Pacific
PP 28th, PK 4th
Shots for 26th, Shots against 12th
Goals for T28th(last), Goals against 12th
Goals: Grimaldi 8, Whitney 6, Greer/Compher/Nunn 5
Assists: Grimaldi 11, Greer 10, Whitney 8
Points: Grimaldi 19, Greer 15, Whitney 14
Shots: Grimaldi 77, Whitney 61, Sislo 56, Nunn 46, Greer 39
JT Compher leads the AHL in shooting percentage with 33.3%
Spencer Martin is tied for the AHL lead in Wins, T3 for minutes and saves
AJ Greer is T14th in Rookie points
Sam Jardine is T3 in Rookie penalty minutes
The Roadrunners are 2nd in the Pacific with a 10-5-3 record. They are 22nd in the league in shots for and dead last in shots allowed. They have the best PP in the league at 27%. Somehow they score 3 a game and give up 3.22 and have a great record.
With 3 forwards coming back from injury it’s pointless to guess what the lines will look like, except they’re going to be a lot better. Stay tuned.
Friday night vs Tucson 8:30pm ET
Saturday night vs Tucson 8pm ET
All games on Ticket760
This week’s episode of Running With the Herd
/ / / / / /
Friday’s game conflicts with Avs/Panthers but Saturday is clear. Stop by and support your prospects!