Good morning all. The Avs returned home victorious early yesterday morning and take on the Bolts tonight at 8pm ET/6pm MT on Altitude. Quick turnaround from the longest road trip of the year but in this case that might be a good thing.
- Rennie Bourque has been skating with the training staff while the gang was in the East. He could make his return to the lineup tonight and start building some trade deadline interest.
- The Rampage lost 6-0 last night and are in a serious tailspin. More concerning is Spencer Martin’s horrifying play lately, winning only 1 out out his last 10 starts and giving up more than 40 goals in that span. More on this later in the week, I have a theory.
- The Eagles on the other hand can’t lose. They won their 11th straight in the middle of the night in Alaska and sit solidly in 2nd place in the ECHL’s Western Conference with a 34-14-4 record. There aren’t any Avs prospects with NHL deals down there right now but guys like Shawn St Amant, Sam Jardine and Alex Belzile from the Rampage are solid performers. St A had 2 goals last night giving him 11G/13A in 30 games and Belz has 17 points in 10 games.
- In the QMJHL, Rouyn-Noranda isn’t the powerhouse they were last year, a large part of that due to long-term injuries but they’ve clinched a playoff spot already. J-C Beaudin had a big night Saturday with a goal and 3 assists and sits 13th in Q scoring with 24G/45A in a mere 53 games. Nic Meloche’s Charlottetown Islanders have also clinched a playoff spot and currently lay in 4th place right ahead of the Huskies. Meloche has 4G/11A in 23 games since moving over from Gatineau at the deadline.
- Cam Morrison scored an important 3rd goal for Notre Dame last night in a 3-3 tie with Providence College. He’s 9th on the team in scoring as a Frosh with 7G/8A in 31 games.
- Tyson Jost returned to the North Dakota lineup this weekend after missing time with LBI (I think). NDU lost twice to Western Michigan but I’m sure he looked swell.
- The Avs have a 4-game week coming up with tonight’s contest vs the Bolts, Tuesday vs the Kings, a quick trip to Nashvegas on Thursday and a rematch with the Sabres late Saturday night.
- The trade deadline is a week from Wednesday so plan your schedule accordingly. Only 5 more games (the above + Tuesday vs the Flyer) until Joe Sakic miraculously reshapes the team.